The Brod and Posavina county covers the narrow plain, which stretches for 120 kilometres along the left bank of the river Sava as far north as the slopes of the Pozega and Dilj range. The county is covered in arable land and woodland of oak centuries old. To the north stretch the Brod vineyards. The county centre is Slavonski Brod, an industrial centre and port on the Sava.
In Roman times it was a crossroads between the path stretching along the Sava and connecting Rome to the east and it was the site of the settlement Marsonia. There are Roman traces to this day. With the fall of the Roman Empire, there was a great migration and Croats settled the region in the 7th century. Slavonski Brod was first mentioned in 1244 as Vila Brod in the charter of Hungarian King Bela IV. In 1536 Slavonia became part of the Ottoman Empire and remained so for the next 150 years.
After he fall of the Ottoman Empire in 1715 a large border fortress was erected in Brod. Also built was a Franciscan monastery with the most representative cloister in northern Croatia. The Franciscans opened the first school in Brod in 1709 and the Brod Faculty of Art in 1720. As part of the borderland Brod became the centre of the captaincy and later a free military district. The Borderland Basic Law was introduced in order to protect and prevent the loss of guilds in villages and to stimulate agriculture, however, the economy did not flourish until 1871, during the period of absolute rule. The borderland became part of the fatherland and Brod became a town. With the construction of the Brod-Dalj railway in 1878 and the railway bridge over the Sava in 1880 Brod became an important trading town. The wood and flour industry developed, as well as culture and education.
Also important for the county in Nova Gradiska with its St. Theresa Church, the building of the old court and the first post office in the Balkans. It beacme a town in 1930.
Numerous Slavonians contributed to Croatian technology and culture, among them were Luka Ilic Oriovcanin, Mato Topalovic, Ivan Filipovic, Matija Mesic, Vjekoslav Klaic, Hugo, Badalic, Vladimir Becic, the famous Brlic family from Brod and others. The county serves as a thoroughfare connecting west to east; Western Europe to the Near East (railways, roads, river traffic, telecommunications, pipelines), as well as eastern Europe with the Adriatic.