Though Croatia has practically no mountains exceeding 2,000 m, the favorable climate (number of snow days) even on some lower localities ensures good conditions for the development of mountain-recreation and winter tourism.
- Northern Gorski Kotar (Platak, Trsce, Snjeznik - 1,500 m)
- Central Gorski Kotar (Delnice, Skrad, Mrkopalj, Vrbovsko)
- Bjelolasica - 1,533 m (Croatian Olympic Center)
- Northern Velebit (Zavizan - 1,699 m)
- Middle Velebit - Baske Ostarije - 1,128 m, Visocica - 1,619 m)
- Southern Velebit (Sveto Brdo - 1,753 m)
- Dinara (Troglav - 1,831 m)
- Biokovo - 1,762 m
- Plitvicka jezera (Licka Pljesivica - 1,649 m)
Particularity of the above localities lies in the fact that all of them can be found in immediate background of the sea coast and along the road distances not exceeding 50 km.